Sunday, July 11, 2010

WHAT'S ON MY MIND?




























:|:

A letter to my Neighborhood,

A few days ago I posted a link here about the upcoming festival in which I was to direct a play. While the festival goes forward full steam ahead, I have decided to resign from directing a play that I have done extensive/months of work on to prepare for, a play that I like very much.

My decision is as a result of serious differences with the show’s producers about the play’s casting and rehearsal process. I state this plainly as such, so as to avoid any wonderment about, "What happened?"

I post it here, because of the encouraging feedback I've received today from members of The Casting Directory*Social. Also, because friends have expressed interest in attending the performances and some of you have a pattern of just showing up by surprise (Steve M.). I need to spare you the trip.

Since so many of my students are here as well and have expressed anticipation for seeing the play, I share this experience with you as a lesson that though it is disappointing and sad that something I was so looking forward to and would have loved to do on my own and always collaborative terms: that my life in art has taught me that nothing worthwhile or lasting ever results from dishonoring one’s own personal sense of truth – no matter what anyone else may think. Because even total failure on one's own terms - is success, because the lessons learned point in the direction of our own "True North," that no one can take away.

As Directors we must collaborate. Yet, if it is not our vision, our own sense of truth in the work, it is not our work. An artist must be the final word on their own work.

I have found that forming the habit of honoring/listening to one’s own sense of truth and vision is the artist’s “horn of plenty” from where all lasting and truly rewarding pleasure and joy are derived. It is one thing to compromise (which is good), another to sell one's self out for perceived short term personal gain.

It is no use walking anywhere to talk about "the work" unless our walking is "the work."

Sincerely.

Now everyone knows what I’ve been doing for the past 35 years.

Yikes! :)

:|:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"The play's the thing wherein I'll catch the conscience of the king."

No comments: