Friday, August 20, 2010

SHOP TALK: "THE SPINE"

:|:

(click on image to enlarge)
When a student sends me an email that has great relevance to the work of so many others, the teacher in me has to share.

STUDENT: I feel confident going into my upcoming film project. The spine of my character, as we discussed it, has been my mantra. It has guided the script and for the first time, I am not only undaunted, but, excited to explain to an actor, what drives them and where they are coming from. Once there is a clear spine, everything just seems to fall into place.

TEACHER: Wonderful! Yes, the way you describe it is right on target. The spine is the "Guide" for all of the action. Everything that happens, comes from that quest to accomplish the deep need, as elusive as it might be. Your excitement is contagious even over this crazy electronic medium!

Congratulations!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"The play's the thing wherein I'll catch the conscience of the king."

No comments: